When you grow plants in an aquaponics system, the grow bed or medium is very important. This is because the growth of your plants depends on it. The plants should be able to take root in it. At the same time, these should also house the all-important bacteria that turn the fish waste to plant food. And of course, there is always the situation that you do not want loose soil that can mix with the water and get circulated back to your fish tank. That is an absolute no-no. So – as you can tell, this media needs to be of a special kind. And the best possible material to use is actually hydro clay pebbles.
Now you must be thinking what is so special about these ‘pebbles’? We’ll take a look now:
- These pebbles are actually made of organic material. The material is shaped and then roasted in a kiln at temperatures reaching 11-1200 degrees Celsius. This very high heat ensures that the finish is rough, and the insides are porous. This allows the pebbles to retain water, helping in the growth of the necessary bacteria on the uneven surfaces.
- Also the porous material traps air as the water slowly drains out of it. This results in proper aeration of the water as it passes through these pebbles.
- Sometimes, the nutrient solution in the water or that which you add requires oxygenation – and these stones allow for that.
- The surfaces of these pebbles being uneven and rough, they are perfect for your plant roots to adhere and fix to. Therefore they act as great growing mediums.
- They are also unreactive as they are baked at very high temperatures.Thus they do not in any way affect the pH of your aquaponics system.
And so you see – finding the right (read best and safest) hydro clay pebbles may be a bit of problem – but we have solved the problem by bringing you the best possible options right here. They serve all the purposes that you would normally expect of baked clay pebbles. And all you need to do is give them a good wash and then lay them in your grow bed… and then see how habitable these little nuggets make it for your plants!