Keeping a fish tank is usually a lot of work. Not only do you need to care for the fish, you also need to pay attention to the temperature of the water. And the worst part is the cleaning. That takes up considerable time and effort. But the best way around this problem is to invest in a good self cleansing fish tank! Now you may be thinking that this is strange – how do self cleaning tanks work? Well, there is a principle that can make these possible – and that is called Aquaponics.
Now you can always set up your own Aquaponics system, but if you are looking for a readymade self cleaning tank, here’s a great option for keeping a single, or at most 2 fish.
Normally when you want to have an Aquaponics system at home, it takes some work to set it up. You have to get all the different parts together. Then you have to construct the closed system. And finally you have to put in first the fish and then the plants.
Speaking of the plants – they are an integral part of this system. It is the plants that act as the water filter. The system depends on the fish, some bacteria and the plants to function. You feed the fish and they produce waste. This waste is then converted by the bacteria in the grow bed and the water into plant food. The roots of the plant take in this food and in turn grow. And of course, the water gets cleaned of the fish waste – which is toxic for your fish.
But this small system allows you to bypass all the trouble of setting up a system yourself, because it is small, handy and comes preassembled with all the things you need. You will need to do just a few things:
- Fill it with water.
- Plug it in to get the motor running.
- Add in your fish.
- Finally place included organic seeds in their grow beds and wait for the plants to take root and grow.
Since this is a small and aesthetically pleasing set up, you can actually keep it on your window sill or as a decoration on some table in your home. In addition to having your fish safe and happy in its self cleaning tank, you can also use the grow beds to grow kitchen herbs or micro herbs. That way your aquarium actually serves two useful purposes!
Now let’s take a look at the customer response that this Aquaponics system has received:
- This tank is built specifically for betta fish – and if you keep a betta in it, it will be happy and quite healthy, as most reviewers mentioned.
- In the beginning for a few days the tank will muck up – and most people think that they need to clean it. But just let it be. The bacteria haven’t yet reached their full potential – once they do, the water becomes clear again and the plants start to grow alright.
- Another thing is that this is a system where 3 of the variables are actually alive – the fish, the bacteria and the plants. And since these will differ from one to the other, you may face certain small problems. But the customer support being as good as it is – they manage to solve all your problems easily!
But when it ultimately comes to that, keep in mind:
- This system is cheap
- It is low maintenance
- The customer support is good
- And you can also use it to teach people the basics of Aquaponics!
So there you have it – the handy Back to the Roots Aquafarm, which is actually a self cleansing fish tank that doubles up as a great way to grow small plants as well! So – what are you waiting for? Get started with Aquaponics with this system today!